Friday, April 19, 2013

How to Come to a Fork in the Road


“When you come to a fork in the road, take it!” -Yogi Berra

When I left for college not too long ago, I started this blog for you—family and friends at home. 

Admittedly, it has been sporadic ever since, which is blog suicide in the world of instant electronic publishing. Now, I am attempting to resurrect it and be more regular with my writing, which I hope will prove to be helpful for me and at least entertaining for you. (That was me giving you permission to laugh at anything you see here, whether or not I mean for it to be funny.)

If you’ve been following along at home, you know that my writing includes a mish-mash of theology, thinking, life stages, and awkward moments. And I suppose those will continue as I keep writing. (That was a disclaimer. Unpredictability ahead!)

ANYways, I’m done with college and ready for the world ahead. What’s next? Isn’t that the $64,000 question on the day (okay, the year) after college graduation?

Well, since I graduated, I’ve been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a—oh wait, that was Frank Sinatra. I’ve actually been a communications staff writer, a camp counselor, a barista, a youth group leader, a freelance writer, a conference intern, a teacher, and a ghostwriter. Not all at once, but close.

I recently finished a major book project where I actually wrote someone else’s book (that’s what a ghostwriter does, if you were confused). I know it sounds like I just did someone else’s homework for them, but it’s not like that. Basically I took two hours worth of the author’s speaking material and turned it into a book. It’s less like cheating and more like being resourceful.

That was the kick-start to my freelance writing career. That’s a pretty big kick-start if you ask me. People keep saying, “Now you can write your own book!” Well, maybe. How about just a blog for now?

[Speaking of which, I need to tell you that this blog is turning a small corner. I’ll be linking to The Oakland Press, which means I’ll be posting more often, and building friendly relationships with the local journalism community. A new adventure.]

So yes, I’ve come to the proverbial fork in the road. Now what? 

Do I go back to school? Do I freelance and work full-time? Or do I hunker down, get some cats, take a knitting class and thereby seal my fate in singleness? Tempting!

For now, I’m taking each day in stride, doing what God has set before me. Sooner or later He’s going to bust open the door and go, “See? I know what I’m doing. Why, dear daughter, do you ever worry?”


No comments:

Post a Comment